Re: [OM] Is There NO END to this FRUSTRATION? (Long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Is There NO END to this FRUSTRATION? (Long)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:20:27 EDT
In a message dated 10/6/01 8:06:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx writes:

> Do we have to send every important piece of mail and
>  certainly any type of payment via FedEx or UPS?  Do we use only credit
cards?

>   And what about the merchandise coming back the other way?

Dave, the key word there is "important".  If it's important, use registered.
Insured.  Return Receipt.  Your mail has to be signed for by every single
postal employee who handles it, so there is a record at every step of the
delivery process.  I've never heard of a problem with a registered piece of
mail.

Realtime tracking, etc. costs realtime money.  Consider the volumes involved.
 They're phenomenal, esp. at a facility the size of San Diego.  Something
like 210 billion pieces of mail this year surging thru the system.  825,000
employees.  I'm sure San Diego sees over a million pieces a DAY, or two or
three.

I have MUCH more faith in the USPS than in UPS.  Can't comment on FedEx.
Never used 'em.  I've sent over 75 M.O.s thru the mail to the U.S. and Canada
in the past year, first class postage, for my EvilBay addiction.  Only a few
of the items came insured.  Not one problem.

One thing you can be sure of.  If a postal employee in San Diego is stealing
mail, he WILL be caught.  Sooner or later.  And do federal prison time
(family 3 states away?  Tough).

All that said, I did a little mail tracing when I was clerking at the P.O.,
and I too thought it was an incredibly archaic system.  Hated it.  I don't
have a clue how it could be improved.  Except... use registered.

I hope your transaction turns out successful.  For a money order big enough
to purchase a new digital, I think I would have registered it.  Worse case
scenario, you get your money back in 60 days.

Breathe, Dave.

Rich