[OM] Film flatness - or not

Subject: [OM] Film flatness - or not
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 07:46:47 +1200
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi John (and others)

Go to

 http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/flat.html

and figure it out for yourself.

I am giving this topic a lot of thought these days.

I could never reconcile the (not-so-good) results I get from OM gear
compared with what people clearly get from other brands (and with published
lens test results), and I wonder about film flatness - collimation - where is
the
lens focus point really? and so on.

(Koni-Omega lenses are reported to focus IN FRONT OF the film rails in
expectation of the film bowing towards the lens). And that camera make has
a fine reputation. There are now two camera models on the market that put a
vacuum on the film at time of exposure (to hold it to the pressure-plate), in
order to beat this gremlin. So some manufacturers take the matter seriously.

Cheers, Brian