Re: [OM] Sticky OM-1 Shutter - advice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sticky OM-1 Shutter - advice?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:09:06 -0600
At 06:20 PM 10/5/2001 -0400, Pat Freeman wrote:
>I recently picked up an old black-body OM-1, and spent a lot of time
>restoring it (leather and foam).  At the time I bought it, the shutter
>appeared to work fine.  Now, however, it sticks.  At "B", the curtain
>doesn't go completely into the left side (as viewed from the back), instead
>it stays out as much as a half-inch to a quarter-inch.  At faster speeds,
>most of the time it simply doesn't open.  Sometimes it does, but mostly it
>does not.
>
>My question is, can this be treated with SMALL amounts of lubricant in the
>shutter track?

Good *God*, no.  Only a service tech oughta try something like this (and I
suspect it's not a lubrication issue in any case -- most of the innards of a
camera can only be screwed up by using lubricants incorrectly if at all).

Send it off to John Hermanson at Camtech (http://www.zuiko.com/) or Clint
(clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) at Photosphere.  They'll set it straight.

Garth