[OM] Unlikely uses for 1.4x

Subject: [OM] Unlikely uses for 1.4x
From: frankrad4@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 23:36:35 -0400
Today I was removing the 1.4x off of the 300/4.5 when I started wondering
what else I could use the converter for. I don't have any of the fast
telephoto Zuiko's like the 180/2.8 or f2 or the 250/f2. I do have a
85-250/f5 so I tried out the combination. There did not seem to be much
clearance between the front element of the 1.4x and the rear of the
85-250 so I was taking a bit of a chance. I slowly attached the converter
to my pristine 85-250 while waiting for the moment of truth. Would I feel
the lens click into place first or feel the two elements collide. I
didn't take any measurements but I was reasonably sure I could estimate
the depth of the recessed element. Well, the bayonet mount clicked in
without damage and all was well.
       I had a 2-4 screen in place and everything seemed to focus pretty
good across the zoom range. I guess I effectively had a 119-350/6. The
combination has better close focusing then the 300mm and more reach at
infinity. Maybe this combination would be useful as a hand holdable super
telephoto in good light conditions and with fast film. It seemed easier
to hold and focus than the 300mm.
    Of course I will not know if the images are any good until I actually
shoot a roll of film with the combination.  Has anyone tried shooting
with this combo before? And, what other uses has anyone found for the
1.4x that Olympus does not recommend?
                  Frank.