Re: [OM] Precautions when buying used OM-4

Subject: Re: [OM] Precautions when buying used OM-4
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:53:38 -0400
The advance of the 2S, 3, 4 are different from the OM-1 through 2N.  It will
feel rougher and maybe harder to wind.  It will not get smoother with age
the way an OM-1 can.
You'd have to test battery drain with a micro ammeter.  Procedure for this
is in the archives somewhere.   A "typical" old OM-4 can have standby drain
as high as 35 micro amps.  (Standby is the drain that's still present after
the meter has gone through a complete "on" cycle).
A good OM-4 would be below 10 micro amps. 4T / 4Ti are between 5 and 10
micro amps.
If you turn the battery test on and it shuts off automatically in approx. 30
seconds, then you already have the newer low drain circuit.

John  Hermanson
http://www.zuiko.com
Camtech, Olympus Service since 1977.
21 South Lane,  Huntington NY 11743-4714
Phone/fax 631-424-2121
Free Olympus Manuals: 1-800-221-3000