Re: [OM] screens

Subject: Re: [OM] screens
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:14:25 -0700
Bill, try one of Hermanson's etched screens. His lines are at once distinct and discrete. You might also think about buying into Beattie screens. Pricey but topnotch.

Tris

I've got quite a selection, the 1-1, 1-2, 1-4, 1-8, 1-10, 1-13, 2-4, and
2-13. Generally, I use the 2 series screens, but I have a question that
cries out for the late Gary Reese.

A year or so ago, Pop Photo did a test of manual focus accuracy of older MF
cameras vs. new AF cameras. The bottom line was that it is harder to
manually focus an AF camera that a MF camera. A factor is the relatively
short throw of the focus rings, but they concluded that it was the focusing
screen that was at the crux of the problem. It seems that screens in new AF
cameras are made in a way that makes them brighter, to compensate for the
relatively slow zoom lenses common today. There was some reason that the
thing that makes the view brighter also makes focusing more difficult.

Does this mean that the 2- screens are harder to focus accurately?
Hmmmm.....

Oh, and I prefer to use screens with the grid, but Olympus tends to make the
lines too fine, so they tend to be less visible. That's one thing I really
like about the old Nikon E screen.

Bill Pearce