[OM] Silicon film, darkrooms, and the Texas meeting

Subject: [OM] Silicon film, darkrooms, and the Texas meeting
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:00:10 -0500
Just finished wading through several days digests...

There were several postings on photo.net about the late, but not very much
lamented silicon film. The posts were on the unarchived forum, I'm sorry to
see, but had links to the financial press. The indication was that the
company that was to make this product was owned either 51 or 49 percent by
banks or other lenders. These lenders had pulled the company's financing,
effectively ending the whole ugly mess. Apparently, the company had a
successful product line in another area, and there was concern that the
foolishness over Silicon Film might render the other products valueless.

This product was too far behind the times to have been successful. Anyway,
there would have never been one for OM, as the inserts had to be made for
specific camera bodies. There couldn't even be a model for Nikon, Canon,
etc. A nice idea, but...

On the subject of darkrooms. For many of you, it is possible to sign up for
classes at a local Junior College or such to get darkroom priveliges. There
is, however, in many cities, a sometimes better alternative, the rental
darkroom. We have one here, and it is equipped for both B&W and color. Quite
a few local part time and near full time pros use it rather than owning
their own color machine, or ordering prints from a lab. They have a large
(30", I think) Kreonite machine for color, with Chromega 4x5 enlargers, and
two b&w rooms for tray processing. The only thing missing is a good drum
drier for glossy fiber based prints. (a magazine asked recently, "Does
anyone ferrotype prints anymore?" My answer is no, and it's a shame) They
also have classes on a semi-regular basis. Cost is less than $10/hour. You
can buy paper by the sheet, if you wish. There are apparently quite a few of
these across the US.

Oh, and Gary, I noticed the iced tea. I think your excuse may be weak. You
could have stopped at one of Texas' most curious drive-through beer stores
on your way home!

Bill Pearce