RE: [OM] I Pulled a "Real Stupid"

Subject: RE: [OM] I Pulled a "Real Stupid"
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:37:54 +0200
Hi Susan,

I enjoyed the way you described the "events" (though the Coke spill was
unfortunate in itself), and I'm glad your camera survived (and was
reanimated by you) after all! :)

Then, may I actually suggest that if a camera (or other piece of electronic
equipment) is soaked by whatever fluid, it's best NOT to turn it on
immediately. The issue being, that the fluid will almost certainly cause a
short SOMEWHERE in the electronics. Fortunately, electronics often don't
directly go down the drain when shorted, but still, it can easily leave the
electronics a "total loss"...

Then, I believe my most stupid OM related thing was my "brilliant" way of
cleaning the fungus out of my 300/4.5 (which Brian Huber very inexpensively
obtained for me because of the fungus). Indeed, here I was thinking the
fungus was at the top of the 2nd element from the front, and would be easy
enough to clean it, right? WRONG! With some difficulty (and advice from the
list) I opened the lens from the front, let the first element drop out to
reach the fungus, but alas, it wasn't there! Now it looked like it was on
the bottom of the 2nd element, so I proceeded and removed that one too. Was
the fungus reachable now? No way! It now looked like it was either between
the 3rd and 4th element, or on the bottom of the 4th element, but... no way
to proceed working from the front, and seemingly the lens has been cleaned
before, after which the two halves were glued together, so I couldn't easily
work my way to the bottom of the 4th element by disassembling the lens.
Annoyed that I couldn't reach the fungus, I re-assembled the lens, and there
you go... I wasn't careful enough when putting the 2nd element back in. It
slipped, and it got chipped... AAAAARGH! Now there was this little chunk of
glass in the lens! :( I took it out, re-assembled the rest of the lens, and
noticed that I had miserably failed in my cleaning attempt: fungus still
there, 2nd element damaged and (inevitably) more dust had made its way into
the lens than before my "repair" session...

The lens stayed like this for a long time (fortunately the damage didn't
seem to affect image quality visibly), until I obtained a replacement
element (with the excellent help of Patrick Johnson). This time I had
learned my lesson and let Jaap Korten put it in. The lens is now in the same
state as it was when I bought it (i.e. with a little bit of fungus, but
without the element damage and with less dust than after my "repairs"), so
I'll leave it like that.

I guess it's best to leave some repairs up to the professionals...:)

Cheers!
Olafo