Re: [OM] hypothetically

Subject: Re: [OM] hypothetically
From: "Mike DiTullio" <mikedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:31:35 -0400
Nope, these negatives are dead blank. Nada, zip, virgin film, nothing.  I've
shot about 10 rolls
with this om4 since I got it and this is the only roll that has this kind of
output. When I first got it I
took a couple of shots while sitting in my living room with the same
nondedicated flash and those
pictures turned out. (I do know how to set the f-stop according to the
calculator)

under or over exposed I can understand but nothing? That puzzles me.

The next time it's empty I'm going to try and recreate the events. I was using
the flash on a
bouncegrip2 with the winder doing the advancing. It's almost like the film got
advanced without
the shutter ever opening.

Captains Log, Stardate 28 Sep 2001 at 18:38, clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
communicated:

> The OM-4 still needs battery power to fire a flash, even in the mechanical
> (red) speeds.  But if
there's enough
> power, it should still trigger the flash properly even in the red "60".
>
> If you're using a non-dedicated flash, you would need to set the lens'
> aperture according to the
scale on the
> flash.  If the flash was set on one of the auto settings, the output would
> vary according to the
amount of light
> reflected into the flashes' sensor.  If the lens was set on a very small
> aperture, and the flash
was set for a very
> low output, it might _appear_ that there wasn't an exposure.  Check your
> negatives very closely
-- are you sure
> there's absolutely _no_ sign of light, say from a lightbulb in the background
> or something?
>
> You can test the sync very easily -- remove the lens, open the camera back,
> attach the flash
(shoe or PC plug) and
> point it toward the floor while you fire the camera.  With the camera on
> manual/60 (either red or
white speeds), you
> should see the entire focal aperture (rectangle where the photo is "made")
> when the flash goes
off.  Be sure the
> batteries are good!
>
> Mike DiTullio wrote:
>
> > Then something else happened that I can't explain. I've got 7 completely
> > blank shots in the
> > middle of the roll. And I'm pretty positive these are the shots I took
> > using a vivitar 283 flash. If
> > wasn't using an slr I'd say I left the lens cap on.
> >
> > Captains Log, Stardate 27 Sep 2001 at 21:09, Larry communicated:
> >
> > > "Normal" 1/60 IS the sync/manual 1/60. The red mechanical 1/60 is for use
> > > when batteries
are
> > dead.
> > >
> > > Larry