[OM] Other filmstocks (long-ish)

Subject: [OM] Other filmstocks (long-ish)
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:46:53 -0700
Regarding filmstocks, I've been enjoying the various comments regarding the
different pro and consumer films, some are going on my list of those to try.

I've shot many, many rolls of Eastman 5247 (now replaced by 5248) over the
years however, and always have been very pleased with it. Good color
rendition and relatively inexpensive. I should have some 5248 done soon so
I'll be able to compare with the earlier stuff.

Does anyone else shoot some of the "odd types"? I've also tried a couple of
the Fuji motion picture films (8518, I believe, to name just one). I've
stuck with the Eastman varieties primarily because the shop I've gotten mine
from (RGB, in Hollywood, CA) has always provided good service, where a
couple of the Fuji suppliers had processing that was uneven, or slow
service.

Most, like the Eastman filmstocks, are designed for use as 35mm
professional-grade motion picture films, but seem to give good results for
35mm still photo use. This makes sense, to me, as the expectations of movie
studios for fine grain and good color rendition have to be as high (if not
higher) than those of still photographers. It's designed to be contact
printed to produce positives, so 'standard' development is to return a roll
of negs and accompanying slides. Prints are also an option. Batch variance
is also supposed to be held to fairly tight tolerances, as separate rolls
may well have to be spliced together in a movie.

About the only drawback I've found is that development must be done by a
shop equipped for those filmstocks (process ECN-2). Typical price/roll of 36
is USD8.50 for negs + slides.

---
Scott Gomez