Re: [OM] F280 multi flash use

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 multi flash use
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Sep 2001 10:37:15 -0700
On Sat, 22 September 2001, "Tom A. Trottier" wrote:

> > > I wonder if the many flashes of the F280 in the Super FP mode have
> > > ever been used to take multiple pix of something real fast, like a
> > > bullet?
> > >
> > > Tom
> >
> > I did some bullet photography years ago.  The trick is triggering the
> > flash at the right time.  We used two strands of very thin wire a
> > couple of millimeters apart stretched across the path of the bullet
> > and attached to the flash -- a Heiland Strobonar of some sort, as I
> > recall.
>
> Used to use one of those potato mashers way back when.
>
> > When the bullet caused the wires to make contact, the flash went
> > off.
>
> How far did the bullet go after triggering?

Just a couple of inches with a .22 since the muzzle velocity of a long rifle
round is only about 1300 fps.  The bigger artilery went as far as 6 or 7
inches, especially the 7mm and .30 cal. stuff.  We smeared lamp black on the
wires, which were taken from an old electric motor armature, so they wouldn't
be as obvious in the photos.

> > The gun (usually a .22, but we did try some larger caliber stuff)
> > was secured in a vise, because this had to be done in the dark.
> > After the lights were turned off, the shutter was opened, the
> > trigger pulled, and the bullet took its own picture.  Had to
> > remember to close the shutter before turning the lights back on,
> > though.
>
> But no multiple images, eh?

No, that would require multiple flashes and some pretty sophisticated
equipment.  I don't know how fast the F280 fires, but I'd bet the bullet would
be long gone before the second flash.

> Must have been loud.

Yeah, but we were all shooters and didn't really notice it.  we did it at night
in a barn on our farm.  The horses hated it and the chickens quit laying.

Walt Wayman