Re: [OM] stupid flash tricks continued

Subject: Re: [OM] stupid flash tricks continued
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:05:24 -0500
At 10:30 PM 9/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Sorry about the orientation, I was in a hurry ;-)  I should have been clear
that the flaw most definitely is in the negative & not just the print.

>Surely someone out there can explain this...
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Dick

I think it may be lens flare from a bright object illuminated by the flash.
It could be the really bright carpet in front, or it could be something
outside the field of view, like a window, which reflected flash into the
lens even though it itself was not in the image. What kind of lens were you
using?

For this photo the flash should probably have been angled upward. The flash
is less intense off the axis; so by angling it away from the nearby carpet,
the carpet would be less intensely illuminated. This is called "feathering".
Alternatively the flash could have been raised higher and pointed down, but
still aimed over the cat's back. This would even up the illumination too.

Paul