Re: [OM] What Oly?

Subject: Re: [OM] What Oly?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:06:43 -0700
on 9/20/01 2:11 PM, Mike at watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Funny - I always thought that the old Pentax was about twice the size of =
>> an OM - how did he make it fit?
>>
>> Bernd=20
>>
> As a one time Spotmatic user I can say that when i first saw the OM1 i
> was a bit disappointed. I had heard about how small and light it was but
> as it turned out it was no smaller than my Spotmatic 500 and the screw
> mount lenses were actually smaller than their Oly counterparts. But that
> didn't stop me from buying into the OM line as it had many more features
> packed into the same size package.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West
The Pentax ME/MX are quite competitive with the OM-1 and OM-2, from the same
vintage. I somehow have  wound up with a couple (or three) ME-Supers and
they take nice pictures.

Pentax lenses come in many different variations, but one thing Pentax did do
that I respect, when they went to AF they engineered it so the lenses are
backward and forward compatible. You can use AF lenses on the MF bodies
(with manual focus only) and I believe you can use the MF lenses on the
newer AF bodies (again manual focus only) with the auto aperture and
metering working. Imagine if Olympus had done that...
--

Jim Brokaw