Re: [OM] Free OM-4Ti to good home

Subject: Re: [OM] Free OM-4Ti to good home
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Sep 2001 17:32:08 -0700
I have been naughty.  A week ago today, I was one of the first to post an OT
rant regarding the terrorist attacks on NYC and DC, and my expressions quickly
gave rise to some support, and also attracted some vehement disagreement.
After a couple of hostile exchanges, I promised not to continue contributing to
any disagreeable discourse on the list and invited anyone who felt strongly
enough about my opinions to attack me off list.  Two list members did so, and I
replied to both.  I  have heard nothing further from the Londoner, but the
Australian and I have been firing shots around the world for the last week
without catching any of the rest of you in the crossfire. It?s not a
particularly swift exchange since Atlanta and Australia are day and night
apart, literally, and he?s thinking while I'm sleeping, clever fellow that he
is, which I suspect is giving him a slight advantage.  Anyway, we both appear
to have begun enjoying it a bit and, despite our best efforts, are losing our
edge and are beginning to be nearly cordial occasionally.  War is hell.

However, I see a problem on the list.  Yes, there have been way too many OT
posts, and I think it?s time they stopped.  But also, the opponents of anything
OT have gotten carried away in their high dudgeon and pose even more of a
threat to the future of this electronic assemblage. It seems every time there
is a brouhaha and somebody gives them a little riposte, the same few (who seem
to be of usually tender sensibilities) get their shorts in a twist and threaten
to quit the list.  Yet, they seem always to still be around when the dust
settles, either never actually un*subscribing or coming back after a few hours
of pouting and scouring the list for someone pleading that they not go.  I
would threaten to quit myself, but who would give a shit?  I?m not even sure I
would.  Who would even notice?  Anyway, this is not all I have to do.  There
are days I quickly scan the topics and delete en masse every post and go on to
do something else.  Getting a life could be a bonus for some.

So to both sides, I have only this to say: LET?S ALL GROW UP, GIVE ONE ANOTHER
SOME SLACK AND GET OVER IT!

Besides, I have a WTB I want to post in a day or two when everything gets back
to normal, if that?s not so egregious that it gets me flamed, and I want
everybody paying attention.

Walt Wayman

P.S.  Just kidding about the free OM-4Ti.