Re: [OM] A bunch of photos posted and lessons learned

Subject: Re: [OM] A bunch of photos posted and lessons learned
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:11:13 -0500
I shoot Provia 100F in good light, and only go to 400 (2-stop push of 100F)
if it's dim.  I can usually get f/8 at 1/500.  Try panning with a fluid head
(I use a Bogen 3130, but I don't know if that's the best or worst choice; it
is all I've tried).  Bear the angle of the sun in mind when selecting a
position, preferably at one end of the flight area.  You have figured out
the problem with exposure - I bias the exposure towards the aircraft and let
the sky fall as it will - except on wide shots.  Shoot lots of frames.  I
find a winder a must.  Luck helps, too.  And try some slower shutter speeds
for propeller airplanes to get realistic propeller blur - essential in my
opinion.

A longer prime lens is always better (at least up to about 400-500 mm; I use
a Tamron 400 f/4, mostly without an Olympus 1.4X-a.)  But you can get nice
stuff at 200 mm, especially for light airplanes which are usually closer
than the jets.

Assuming things normalize enough for them to hold it, I'll be going to
Abilene next Saturday for the Southwest Regional EAA Fly-In.  Have to
remember to follow my own advice there in the heat of battle. . .

Regards,Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/