[OM] A bunch of photos posted and lessons learned

Subject: [OM] A bunch of photos posted and lessons learned
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:01:45 -0400
Hey all,

Had to get out today so I took my 4 rolls of Fuji color neg to the 1 hour
pharmacy lab to get developed.  Big mistake.  I called the local pro lab and
they quoted ~$7 for processing (24exp) and I went the $2.50/roll route.  No
scratches but a fair amount of what are hopefully water spots.

So I spent a couple hours scanning the negatives down at the newspaper
office.  I got what I think are some good shots and I'm going to have to go
back and do hi-res scans later this week.

Subjects are a mixed bag of civil war re-enactments, Willow Grove Air Show,
trail photos, and some misc. images.  All taken with my OM-1 (still waiting
for the -2's to come back from CLA).  I used the 65-200/vivitar
macro-focusing teleconverter combo quite a bit.

What else did I learn?  100asa film with the lens/2x converter is a tough
way to photograph fast flying jets!  Trying to keep a shutter speed of
1/500, panning, and dealing with a 2x converter got the best of me.  I
forgot to open up a stop and mostly got silhouettes of the planes.  Maybe
some scanning/photoshop tricks can bring out more detail... I've got my
fingers crossed.

These pics (unsorted, un-commented) are up at:
http://mikedarling.dyndns.org/frames/galleries/airshow/index.htm

Some of you may also remember a query I posted about temporary copy stand
work.  Well I've started scanning the scrapbooks I've inherited.  Only what
will fit my flatbed though, and there's a lot left.  I've posted what I can
identify and will be working on this gallery a lot before class starts up
again.  Unfortunately no OM work here, but some very interesting and
historical photos you might find interesting.

http://mikedarling.dyndns.org/familyphoto/schrader/index.html

I'm about a quarter of the way through the scrapbooks and there's lots of
neat stuff left.

It was good to focus on photography for a while... Exactly what I needed
after the last few days.

Mike