[OM] I Feel an Inkling of Hope..

Subject: [OM] I Feel an Inkling of Hope..
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 02:24:34 EDT
 I'm just checking in and wanted to see if any of you had thought the same
thing I did about the airports, but see no mention here...so I want to tell
you why today I feel the first ray of hope that has permeated my depressed
spirit since Tuesday...

This morning I was initially upset to hear they were already re-opening the
airports and starting it up again....yes, they initiated some very
'Mickey-Mouse' procedures (no skycabs at the curb, etc) but nothing that will
REALLY make a difference, showing security guards getting a quick "training"
as the passengers began to filter thru. At first I had hoped it was only to
finish the unfinished flights from the other day...but lo and behold it
looked like it was wide open. The only two things I was happy about was that
Boston was not reopened and will have to change significantly, and that
National (AKA Reagan) Airport will not reopen..at least not for a while

rant on:

 (I think they actually heard me ranting the other night to move the damn
archaic ariport! I sat on hold on CSpan for 2 hours to try to voice that
opinion, but never got up to batt....that airport (Reagan/National) has been
dangerous (too steep an ascent and descent like the old Tokyo airport) for
years (I literally close my eyes and get white knuckles every time I have to
use it..and I am NOT afraid of flying!), and the runways run right over the
White House, Pentagon, and Capitol...if we can afford ridiculous grants in
the millions to study the grunting mating calls of the whatchamacallem birds,
then why not pick up that relic and move it????)

rant over...sorry, but I feel better now...

back to my thought:

in hindsite the FBI pulled a brilliant maneuver today! Think about it: Boston
was closed, they advertised that air travel was open again with few
restrictions....and they knew there were more of these scuds running around,
possibly foiled Tuesday because they closed down the flights so early
(9:40-something a.m. EST). So, thinking they (the terrorists) could easily
get out of country while we were still in chaos and our attention was
diverted, they travelled down to NYC walked  right into the trap! It was a
perfect foil! It was brilliant...and it worked....now they've got a bunch of
them in custody..

so I'm beginning to see a ray of hope that we may be far better equipped to
handle this than some fiction writer may opine (from previous
posts....puleeze!) or than those so afraid of a conflict may suppose....

i think it's time to start giving credit where credit is due...just think
about it..
Susan

Susan Steele
Virginia USA
The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.