RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
Jon wrote:

Walt,

Here in the UK I too used to enjoy firing off a few rounds at paper
targets. I have never shot at anything other than a paper target, I
hasten to add, but it was a very enjoyable sport for me.  Sadly, this
is no longer an option with anything but the smallest of target rifles
in the UK.

The reason ?  Some A**hole took a selection of firearms, for which he
had a license, and shot a bunch of kids.  I am not condoning his
actions - if he had not killed himself I would have happily seen the
death penalty re-introduced especially for him, but the "knee-jerk"
reaction of our government to the issue (ban all firearms) has solved
nothing and caused more problems.  People are still killed and injured
by people with firearms. The people warped enough to carry out such
acts are not likely to apply for a license anyway, and "unlicensed"
firearms are as readily available as ever.

If our government had applied a fraction of the money it poured into
banning firearms (compensation payments, redundancy payments to name
but a small portion) into actually policing the issueing of licenses as
was supposed to happen, then this maniac would never ave "legitimately"
acquired his weapons.

Walt, I know this is a very different scenario from the one we are all
currently facing together, and I wouldn't even try to compare the
losses or the perpetrators, but I hope you can see the parallel I am
trying to draw here.  Knee-jerk reactions of any sort only make matters
worse, IMHO.

Anyway, I'll probably get flamed by UK list members now for my opinions

on the above issues !  Hopefully we can all live with our divergence of
opinions, and more importantly not be closed of to others differing
opinions.  We don't have to agree with their opinions, just consider
them and see what we can learn from them (even if it's that they are
wrong !)

Right, rant over.  Back to OM stuff next time I promise.

Jon

PS: Have just heard newscasters here going on about the number of
British among the dead.  Makes me sick.  The victims of this are not
British or American or whatever.  They are human.  This tragedy crosses
national boundaries, and already the press are trying to divide us all.
Jon,

I am a Brit living in Indoensia for the last 11 years. You won't get
any flames from me! I, too, was once an amateur pistol shooter, first
in England then in Australia. I enjoyed target shooting and occasional
'varmint' hunting and am disappointed that these things are no longer
possible in the UK. I agree that the govt's reaction to the school
killings in Scotland (Dunblane?) was unwarranted and inappropriate.

The man who shot the school children had a known history of mental
disorder. That should have been enough to guarantee that he would never
be granted a firearms certificate.  However, in his case, I think there
were some ties of friendship between his family and the local
constabulary, so the police turned a blind eye - which led directly to
the tragic deaths. Penalising innocent holders of firearms certificates
for the police force's dereliction of duty was not the right answer.

The granting of firearms certificates to private citizens in the UK has
been entirely at the discretion of the police. They are empowered to
withhold or revoke a firearms certificate from any citizen, without
having to give a reason. It is a privilege, not a right. As you say,
adequate policing of the existing laws would have been a much more
effective and efficient solution to help prevent future tragedies of
this nature.

Regarding newcasters identifying the fact that there were British
victims in New York, I think it's understandable that they would report
this and I don't see it as devisive.

Regards,

=====
Ray