Re: [OM] B-17 Photos and other ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] B-17 Photos and other ramblings
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:36:07 -0700
At 11:08 PM 9/12/01 -0500, Steve Goss wrote:
>You mention that this B17 is a "replica". Where I come from (historical
>railroading), replica means that it is not a vintage machine from WWII, but
>instead something that just looks like it, built many years later. Is it
really
>a re-creation, or an original airplane refurbished?

Steve,

there was a real Memphis Belle during WW2. This one, owned by the
Confederate Air Force I believe, was redone into the original 'Belle's
markings for the movie of the same name done a few years ago. So yes it is
an original B-17 just redone to become the Mephis Belle. this is pretty
common practice for the warbird restorers.
Barry H