Re: [OM] Today In NYC

Subject: Re: [OM] Today In NYC
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:48:13 -0400
One has to wonder why, given identical conditions, one person suffers to become a terrorist, while another suffers and becomes a peaceful and contributing member of society. This does not mean I am against rebellion in all cases. I am not one to refrain from striking out at wrong when I see it ( I am a choleric!) but I prefer to strike at the one causing the problem. I am also willing to suffer much myself, but have little patience when I see others wronged.

We must be sure of our opponent before we strike, and we must be sure we do not lower ourselves to the level of those who strike terror by cowardly hurting the innocent.

Gregg

Titoy wrote:
Now everyone is understandably and rightfully distracted by the saddening
disaster that has befallen not just your country but as we call "civil
society."  Now we are rudely reminded that terrorism can strike anywhere be
it on sandy beaches in the pacific or the streets of New York. We Filipinos
suffer in some way also the pain of terrorism that is often blamed on the
Muslim fundamentalists that inhabit the southern part of our country. Many
of us me included have at times felt the anger many now in the US feel. But
with poverty in our country just next door I realize we cannot
simplistically condemn entire cultures, or tribes or ethnic minorities.
There are real issues underneath as we see in our own country. These
deprived terrorists are born out of poverty, miseducation, etc that are
partly a failing of "leadership" on the part of our governments etc. We
continue to struggle here for good governance as witnessed by the recent
downfall of a rogue president. We have a long way to go....
The disaster reminds the world that like in our country there are still too
many discontented people that need to be either reconciled or eliminated.