[OM] Best piece of non-photographic equipment for photography

Subject: [OM] Best piece of non-photographic equipment for photography
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:59:53 EDT
We all probably have more photography gadgets and doodads than we can shake a
stick at in our gear locker, camera bag, or somewhere handy.  I would be
interested in hearing from others on the list about those essential
non-photographic items they have incorporated into their kit.  To get it
kicked off, I'll share a few of mine.  Since I got a filter stuck on my 18mm
lens and a list member suggested using a rubber band to remove the filter, a
rubber band has become an essential part of my kit.  It can also be used to
hold a piece of panty hose over your lens if you are wanting a soft focus
effect.  Just want soft focus on they edges, borrow a cigarette from a friend
and burn a hole in the middle of the panty hose attached to your lens.
Having celebrated a few more birthdays than many of the folks on the list, my
eyesight is somewhat challenged.  I carry a flat, pop out, lighted magnifying
glass in my kit for really being able to see what I'm doing while
photographing at night.  While working on the recent macro TOPE, I
commandeered my beautiful brides gardening stool.  It folds up and can be
used as a padded seat or reversed and used to kneel on when you are praying
for a good exposure.  Not really but rather when you want to kneel to get in
the right position.  Last week I was taking a photograph of a batch of
mushrooms and had collapsed my tripod to get close to the subject.  Rather
than lay down on the wet ground, I put the stool in the kneeling position and
then laid down with my chest on the padded part.  My knees got a little wet,
but the rest of me was comfortable and dry.  Have also used it to hold a
reflector in place while working close to the ground.  OK guys I've primed
the pump, does anyone else have any priceless gems they want to share with
the group.  Bill Barber