RE: [OM] Advice on what to carry...now getting OT "openspaces"

Subject: RE: [OM] Advice on what to carry...now getting OT "openspaces"
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:23:00 -0700
> Sounds to me like 'management' of the deer isn't working too well.  Time to
> introduce some big carnivores again...now there's a good photo opportunity!

The carnivores have reintroduced themselves. Cougar attacks average 2-3
per year around here the last only two weeks ago on a man out jogging.
And grizzlies and wolves are on the increase though in more remote
areas. Cougars have been following the urban deer population into the
cities. One was spotted in the garage of the Empress Hotel in downtown
Victoria several years ago. Unfortunately I have only ever seen a
fleeting glimpse of one. The deer around here on the other hand are a
scourge, general practice is the 3 S method or a barbecue. This week
they knocked down the fence and got into my orchard doing considerable
damage. Gonna have a serious talk with that slacker dog about
responsibility. I generally like sharing the world with other wildlife
and enjoy nature photography but the deer and raccoons are an example of
nature run amok.

Mike
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West