[OM] Re: Tom's dilema

Subject: [OM] Re: Tom's dilema
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:28:13 -0500
I don't have a lot of experience is shooting sports, and it's been since
pre-autofocus since I did, but I'll weigh in anyway. My big piece of the
sports pie was shooting an NCAA regional. that when I, along with most
everyone there, was shooting Nikon F's, and out big problem was changing
film. I don't believe there were even any zooms. I was reminiscing with a
photojournalist just a few years older a few days ago about this. The fact
is, photographers got just as many great shots before either autofocus or
zoom lenses were in common use. It's not that hard, just learn to
follow-focus, something that comes easy with lots of practice. Fact is, Tom,
you probably do it already. My Luddite rant over, let's deal with the
subject at hand.

First, the IS-3. I must respectfully disagree with the eminent Mr. Norton.
The IS3's autofocus is state of the art, if your state is about 1985. I find
it glacially slow. I love my wife's IS3, it's just not for sports. Also, the
300 converter must be used with the lens at the 180 setting, so you loose
the zoom ability.

Second, digital. I wouldn't buy digital now. I would wait for the full 24x36
versions that will surely be out soon. Some may suggest that it is foolhardy
to wait for improvements in digital cameras, as they are like computers,
with frequent upgrades. I think that is also an argument for film. although
your digicam will be obsolete faster that your Pentium IV, film will remain
viable for years, especially considering your wealth of scanners. That said,
I have a friend with a D1, and another friend is a Canon endorser with a
D30, and they both get remarkable photos.

As to autofocus. If you're having trouble going to an f2.8 lens from your f2
lens, you're in deep you-know-what. I am unaware of any f2 autofocus lenses
aside from 50's, although there may be a few 35's and 85's I haven's seen,
but the fastest zooms are 2.8, and the place they're fastest are on the
pocketbook. That's something to consider.

My wife has an N80, with a 24-85 2.8-?? and the 80-400VR lens. The autofocus
is quick and fairly reliable on the shorter lens, and just a bit slowish on
the long zoom, but the VR feature is remarkable. If you go AF, I would
strongly recommend Nikon, but then I do have a history with them. The N80 is
a lot of camera for the money. Just be careful. The use of polycarbonate can
be overdone. It's said that the designers consider the PC lensmount
acceptable only because most owners of those cheaper lenses and bodies never
buy accessory lenses, and they are never subject to change.

All of the above aside, I look forward to your OM fire sale.

Bill Pearce