Re: [OM] Digital Musings: the OM1n

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Musings: the OM1n
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:56:30 +0200

It is interesting to remember what happened to super8 film relative to video.
Super8 gave much better quality pictures than video, but video's convenience won
out in just a couple of years (os so it seemed). If I look at the relative
number of film and digital cameras in the shops here, with the number of
digitals growing all the time, I think that it is just a matter of someone
offering a really cheap digital camera; then the digital avalanche will really
begin to roll.

Roger Key, CPH

> Donald MacDonald wrote:
>

> > Quality will improve and become indistinguishable from film.

Just as many photographers today require the performance of medium and large
format films over 35mm, the same will hold true as digital approaches the
quality of 35mm film. I think that the day is fast approaching when digital
will be the "film" choice of the masses, but many serious-pro photographers
will still be seeking the best image quality available (i.e. larger format
film). Digital has a long, long, long way to go before it becomes a cost
effective replacement to all film, IMHO. However, with the rate of
technological advancement, the question is when that will happen...

B.

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada
bhamm@xxxxxxxx