Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:53:26 -0400
Hi Tom,

> Time for some spray skirts. Dangerous, too, easy to swamp.
> There were a couple of deaths recently near here due to this.
> Thank goodness they weren't cross winds!

I was really worried about swamping. For this reason, I made sure that we
kept close to shore at all times. Made for not the most direct course, but
definitely the safest. Otherwise, we just kept our noses to the wind as much
as possible.

> But why do you need 142 lbs for 3 1/2 days? I've read that John Muir
> and the other Sierra trekkers fasted on their mountain weekends,
> taking only a blanket along. I guess those male-bonding beer cases
> add up...Travel (blue) light!

Nope, no alcohol. Given our workload, dehydration was enough of a problem
without compounding it with alcohol. However, it may have come in
handy...for medicinal purposes :)
Truth be told, I really didn't need 142 lbs worth of gear, and during the
portages I often found myself cursing my packing job. Tent, sleeping bag,
Thermarest, cooking kit, stove, fuel, food, water, camera gear, and (far too
much) clothing add up quickly.

> Despite the movies, I believe that wolves stay away from humans.

Most animals will. Actually, moose are more of a threat to humans than
wolves or bear. I suspect that the pack was well aware of our presence and
doubt they would have approached very close, but was very surprised that
they did come as close as they did.

> How did it fail you?

The tripod works well with my cameras and smaller lenses. I try to shoot
with one on all occasions, so the fact that it is on the smaller side bodes
well as I can easily carry it with my kit. However, under the heavier load
of larger lenses, and the fact that rarely could I set it up on flat sturdy
ground, it simply did not provide enough stability. I need to invest in
something stronger as well as getting a good ball head.

> > If anyone on this list is considering a trip to eastern Canada in the
> > future, I high recommend a visit to Algonquin Park for those of you who
> > enjoy the outdoors.
>
> Yeah, we can tell...

Well...maybe I could recommend a different route :)

> Wanna go on another trip one weekend?

Definitely. Regardless of some of the more "interesting" aspects of the
trip, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plans are in the works for another come
spring as well as next fall. Next time, though, we'll pack lighter and
either take more time or plan a more reasonable route. And I'll definitely
take more pictures...

B.

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada