Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:17:40 -0700
I've done my own B&W darkroom work and it's kinda fun. Never did learn about color, always sent it out. At the moment I haven't the space in town to rig up a lab (no way I'm turning my little bathroom into a black shed) and I hardly get up to my place in the mountains these days so there's little opportunity there for me.

A scanner is something I'm more or less looking at, though not at all hard. It would be nice to share some stuff with others interested in the art and I do feel left out at times not doing so. Just seems so expensive now. Plus the time to do it and maintain the site and all that.

Tris

It is not difficult to obtain the equipment and expertise to process
your own color negatives. A Jobo processor and a film scanner would be a
great investment.

I have seriously considered getting a tank and assorted chemicals for
B+W film, since it is trivial to process B+W film. Color is a little
harder and I think best results are obtained with a machine like a Jobo
(assuming the macines are still being produced that is).

I don't have a film scanner yet though, and I don't know if and/or when
I'll get one. I have not had bad luck with Kodak processing, though I
have never ordered enlargements. I was disappointed when I was told that
slide processing was "special" by they local grocery store.

I hope this digital imaging fad is just that.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright