Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics -

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics - LONG
From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:43:55 -0400
1) Make sure the umbrellas are about 36". Any smaller, and they don't do very
well.

2) Photeks are OK, and are translucent with a black removable backing. By
removing this backing, you can shoot_through_the umbrella, for even softer
light. Off-brands of similar designs are as good, and might save you money (If
that's ever an issue)

3) Be sure to shade the lens well from flare.

4) Adjust the flash so it fills the umbrella to the edge. Not a hotspot center.

5) Simple improvement. Put a 2' x 3' (or 3x4) card thet can be bought at a pro
shop (or you can make one) that is white on one side, silver on the other,
horizontally below the frame like a table top, or 2 on stands - one on each
side. Also as close to the picture frame as possible.

6) Try to have enough distance from the background, so shadows won't reach.

7) Backgrounds don't have to be pro rolls. A large piece of burlap, or textured
fabric, etc. can look really rich.

With ceiling bounce flash, the light is too overhead, unless you are pretty far
from the subject.

Larry