Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics -

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics - LONG
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:00:00 -0500
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx
.....is that the
> umbrellas don't have proper stands, so I have to tape them to a tripod. :)

I built a 'backdrop holder' out of PVC pipe. Works perfectly, and
disassembles in a minute. The clamp idea is great and I will use that idea.

I also built flash stands from PVC pipe and have 'clamp-on shoes' attached.
I built diffusers out of pipe that go in front of the flash, but the
material I chose was too sheer, so most of the light came through.  Should
be easy to attach an umbrella though.  A drill and the right size bolt and
you have a tripod attachment.  I will try the milk jugs (We have one
available about every third day).

> In the somewhat more professional studios you will see that people use
paper
> backdrops, yet I don't have the means to hang such a big roll from my
> ceiling. That is, I don't see a quick and easy way in which I then can
also
> easily change backdrops...

I'm willing to mount them to the ceiling, just need to pick the right room.
Might make a stand though (hey, PVC is cheap) so it can all go in a closet
when I am done.

> Certainly! :)
> Regarding the "attention period": if you thought that was bad with your
> daughters, try doing so with a puppy ;) One of the reasons the chewing
bone
> is in the picture was to maintain the dog interested in something so she
> would stay in the same place for a second or two :) You're right though,
> this is a tough thing. The way I went about it was to fully set-up the
> studio first (took ma an hour or so), then when I had charged the flashes
> and everything was ready, I quickly brought Gioka to the studio, and used
> Gioconda as an assistent in distracting her :)

I think my solution is to turn them into photographers too.  That will keep
them more involved. I may do shots of the neighbor kids, just for fun, for
their parents, just for the practice.

Don't think my cat will hold still though.

> Cheers!
> Olafo

Tom