Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics - L

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Initial thoughts on the Nikon 4000 and related topics - LONG
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:07:23 +0000
At 01:35 9/5/01, Tom Scales wrote:
[snip]
So, here are some pics from it. The leveling is all wrong, so try to ignore
that. I did these in about 15 minutes.

http://www.scales.tzo.com/35mm/kids20010903/index.htm

Tom

Tom,
Looks like you've got some willing vict . . . ummm . . . subjects for this and a couple shots look like you had some fun too. How much ambient lighting did you have? I'd bet some of your balancing issues may be from that. Have you let them try this yet with their OM-G's?

Several tips:
1. They look like they're about 2 feet (at most) in front of the wall. Put them farther away from the wall, 5 to 6 feet if possible. This will put shadows down and away from them, and lower the illumination level of the wall too. Experiment some with the distance from the wall/backdrop. 2. Try setting up a lamp with a 40 Watt bulb about 6 feet to your left or right (depending on which way they are turned) and pull the shade off. This will put a "catch light" in their eyes. Your flash should overtake any color imbalance from that low wattage. 3. For posing, which you can experiment with at the same time, see the following tutorial on zuga.net:
  http://www.zuga.net/freelessons/JZCH1.asp

You're doing some experimenting I would like to, but I'm lacking a key ingredient. The other half absolutely runs and hides when a camera lens is pointed at her.

-- John