[OM] Novatron flash unit question

Subject: [OM] Novatron flash unit question
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:54:55 -0500
One of the local photo clubs I belong to is going to be hosting a studio
lighting night with several pros and semi-pros bringing in studio flash
units. Each is going to be giving a short talk about their setup then
letting us hook our cameras up and burn some film. I thought it was a great
idea until one of them said they were bringing a Novatron (sp?) setup and
that there were some rumors of these rigs frying cameras in the past. (Not
that it ever happened to her Nik*n she assured us.)

What?!?! I am guessing that it has something to do with the polarity of the
flash unit and the pc connector setup on the cameras. Anybody with any
knowledge of this? Urban ledged or fact? I don't want to miss an
opportunity, but don't want to fry my camera. I guess if I don't get solid
conformation one way or another, I'll take a user-grade OM10 (poor thing)
and put it to the test rather than risking one of my babies. (Sounds like a
low-grade college ethics question doesn't it?)