Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:51:39 -0400
On Thursday, August 09, 2001 at 10:55, Paul Farrar <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing," saying..

> > I have been following this discussion with some interest, since I have
> > an eye doctor's appointment tomorrow.
> >
> > I understand that the corrective lenses that Olympus sells will correct
> > for near and far sightedness.  But what about astigmatism?  Is it not
> > necessary to correct for this also?
> >
> > Bill Stanke
>
> The screen in an OM has an apparent distance of about 2m (7'). Have him
> find your correction for that distance. It will likely be different from
> your infinity correction and your reading correction. (Normal reading
> distance is about .4m) Us a diopter, or glasses, for that distance.
> If you have astigmatism, you will need glasses, because Olympus doesn't
> make astigmatism diopters, and if they did, or you had one custom made,
> they would only work for one camera orientation, since that correction
> is orientation sensitive. The good thing about an SLR is that the focus
> and framing is always at exactly the same distance (2m) because you
> are looking at the image on a screen, not the object itself. If you can
> get correction at 2m, you are OK. Tell the doctor you need correction
> at 2m, and why (in addition to your reading and driving corrections).
> You may want to get a special pair of glasses for photo use. You don't
> want bifocals for this (they would be very awkward), just a single
> lens optimized for 2m.
>
> Paul

I see distance OK, but need reading glasses. I got my reading glasses
made bifocally. The main area, for reading and meetings, gives me
sharp vision from 60cm to about 3m. A small area at the bottom gives
me sharp vision at about 10cm. This is good for using my palm pilot
close to my chest, even in the dark, and for any really close tasks.

So take your camera into the optometrist if you wish your glasses
optimised for it. Try out different dioptres to get the sharpest
result. Get your doctor's advice on the best choices.

Tom