Re: [OM] Best Photograph Ever

Subject: Re: [OM] Best Photograph Ever
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:16:44 +1000
>Andrew Fildes wrote (regarding the Oklahoma pic):
>
>I believe that this one was manipulated - the flames were added from a
>separate shot. It's a worry.
>
>I then wrote:
>
>I have the picture in a book at home. There is also the story behind the
>shot.
>
>I'll have another look tonight.
>
>Update:
>
>I've checked and are there are no flames. Are we talking about the same
>picture here, or different crops of the same pic? The one I have is fairly
>tight around the subject with little background detail.
>

>Paul Reynolds

I saw press prints here (Oz) of the fireman carrying the child with
flames/smoke directly behind, although still a tight shot. There was some
discussion about the morality of adding the background for dramatic effect
on another list (Photoforum) which is why I was aware of the manipulation.
It would appear that the press used the altered print in the US as well and
that your source displays the original.
AndrewF