Re: [OM] Another question

Subject: Re: [OM] Another question
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:09:55 -0700 (PDT)
Don Gaikins wrote:

(Snip). . . I took a some pictures in the shade on a bright sunny day.
I used the OM2S in manual mode with the spot meter on the faces of the
subjects such that it indicated a correct exposure.  There was bright
background.  When I got the prints back from the processor (Wal-Mart)
the subjects were greatly underexposed.  The people in the background
were correctly exposed.

What is going on here?  I thought that the spot meter would indicate
the correct exposure for the subject in the prism regardless to the
background.  Should I have use exposure compensation?  If so can you
describe the proper technique?

Don, I suspect there's nothing wrong with your technique. It's most
likley the processor at fault. For the print, they would use average
metering and the machine would apply a correction for what appeared to
be an over-exposed negative. This is always likely to happen - we are
at the mercy of the lab! Try looking at the negative to see if it looks
OK.

Regards,

=====
Ray