Re: [OM] Lens assortment for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens assortment for travel
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:50:26 +0100
Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

> I'm leaving next sunday for a 4 weeks trip to India. My previous
> experiences taught me that travelling with a *light* equipment can be
> essential... But, being as zuikoholic as most on this list (well, not
> yet on the scale(s) of... well, you know ;-)), I have a difficult
> time trying to select from the following:
>
> OM-4Ti
> OM-40
>
> 24/2.8
> 35/2
> 35-70/3.5-4.5
> 50/1.8
> 100/2.8
> 75-150/4
> 180/2.8
> Komura 2x converter

My personal preference is not to take zoom lenses - choosing a focal
length is just one variable too many for me when taking photographs.  So
if I was going (I wish!), I would take from your kit the 24/2.8, 35/2,
50/1.8, 100/2.8 and 2x converter.  I took a very similar kit on my last
lot of travels and it saw me through just fine (although my shortest
focal length is currently 28mm, and I really need to get something wider
fairly soon).

The 180/2.8 is a bit of a beast, is it?  Certainly the 100/2.8 +
teleconverter wouldn't be the same quality, but if you're backpacking
any less weight is a bonus.  Obviously you want to take good photos, but
unless you're hoping to sell them I would think the quality is worth
sacrificing.

About this spare body... good idea to take one, I'd agree, but if you're
leaving it tucked away deep in the backpack, keep on checking that it's
still there!  My spare body got nicked in Zambia, and I didn't even
notice until I was through Tanzania and into Malawi.  Very annoying!

Hope you're going to be putting some pictures online when you get back!

Roger