Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 20:12:31 +0000
At 00:00 8/27/01, Roger Skully wrote:

LOL I have the same problem with flowers that are never open when I want them
to be.:-) I know it is heresy but I like the VC better than the NC. I know
that Kodak says different...but my experience is otherwise. They are both
great films and price is a good reason to use one over the other. I do not
find portra400 grainy if properly exposed. As I have said, I have 20x30
prints from 35mm that are amazingly lacking in grain. Sometimes it is nice to
have some grain...I notice that there are now screens being sold to introduce
grain because there isn't enough in modern films...Sheesh!!!
Remember...KISS (keep is simple s----d).
Roger (who sometimes takes his own advice)

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com

There is a difference between NC and VC but it's not that prominent. They are nearly identical in color rendition with the VC having a little more saturation. Kodak designed them to be consistent in color and very compatible so both NC and VC can be used for the same shoot. If I couldn't get NC for this type of work, VC would easily substitute. Which is preferred is more a matter of personal preference.

Not certain I would want grain showing from tabular grain films. From what I've seen it's not pretty. Compared to Tri-X's soft pebbles from the bottom of a stream, tabular grain is more like volcanic gravel (IMO). Probably would be better to introduce graininess at print time using the screens you mention.

I've used up to three camera bodies (one a medium format), but use each for longer stretches of time and only switch for specific purposes. The switch is performed at a natural break in the type/style of shooting being done. There may be different film (including speed) in each one, but I avoid switching what film is being used in a particular body. (All bets are off if something fails and "Plan B" is implemented.)

-- John