Re: [OM] A silly observation on Gary's lens test

Subject: Re: [OM] A silly observation on Gary's lens test
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:03:18 -0700
Hi Alan:

Your 45 l/mm observation is quite astute.  I think Fujichrome 64T Type I
maxed out at about 50 l/mm in my testing (a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
AIS).  The same lenses which were at around 50 l/mm on Type II, got 100
l/mm on Type II stock.

What does this say?  These are the results you can expect from a film
that maxes out a 50 l/mm for a high contrast test target.  Perhaps
someone would like to determine where that point is with present day
films.  ISO 200 or 400 for color trannies?  Who knows.  With time,
slower films will resolve more and more and the data will be less and
less relevant for the slow speed film shooter.

Had I used Technical Pan, folks would have said: "but I can't get those
results with my Kodachrome 64 (put you favorite color film in here)."

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV