Re: [OM] long exposure vibration question and misc

Subject: Re: [OM] long exposure vibration question and misc
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm going to be taking some waterfall photos next week. Many
of them
> will involve shutter speeds of 1/15 sec. - 1 sec. The camera
will, of
> course, be mounted on a tripod for such pictures.
>
> Ideally, I guess I should focus/compose/meter, then lock up
the
> mirror, then trip the shutter with a cable release. (Right?)

Long exposures and vibrations do go well with each other.  Use
the concept of "vibration time as a percentage of total exposure
time."  If I know that my camera will vibrate at the start of
the exposure, I'll make sure that the total exposure time is
long enough to mask or hide the blurry portion.  Most of my
water flow shots are in the 10-30 second realm.  Only if I'm
being seriously in need of Exlax do I use a cable release or
mirror-prefire (self-portrait mode).  With the OM-1, I would
recommend using a cable release and your watch.  Go ahead and
shoot in the 1second to 1/15 range if you want (artistic
freedom), but also try long exposures too.

AG-Schnozz