Re: [OM] Zoom/Film choices for Reno

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom/Film choices for Reno
From: David McGriffy <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:41:44 -0500
hmmmm ... I thought I sent a response to this last night, but I never got it. Too many ISPs, too many mail clients on too many different computers. Anyway, sorry if this is a dup.

I've received a lot of good feedback on and off list about lens choices and a pattern has emerged. No one likes the new Olympus (rebadged Cosina), but everyone likes the Zuiko 65-200 f4. Looking around the web some more, I see some good and bad reviews of this lens, but it often seems to be the one zoom that people hold on to. I also found a few for sale at prices from $179 to $239. The low price is from www.camera-depot.com. Should I jump on this deal?

Tom, I repeat, you are very kind and trusting to offer the loan of your good lenses, but the more good things I hear about the 65-200, the less I want to take your example to Reno with me. Jumping on and off busses, running across the pits, the heat/cold/rain, the fine desert dust, the mustard from the bad burgers, etc. It's hard on me, though I guess the 5000 foot altitude probably doesn't affect the gear as much as it does me. Now a quick test over the next few days could be fun, especially since it would be an excuse to meet.

Thanks all,
DMcG