[OM] New Member - with an 18mm Zuiko for sale!

Subject: [OM] New Member - with an 18mm Zuiko for sale!
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:38:53 -0600
Hello Everyone.

Warm greetings to all. My name is Matt Crawley and I have recently rekindled
my passion for photography due to the recent birth of my first child.

All of my photography has been done with a Canon AE-1 but I have recently
become the proud owner of a bag full of Olympus goodies. Long story short -
the company I work for had a dusty closet in the back that contained a bag
with two OM1s, two OM2s, three 28mm/2.8s, three 70-150/F4s, three or four
power winders, a few different 50mms and... one 18mm/3.5 with the 49-72mm
adapter/hood.

I have a good bit of Canon gear so I don't plan on abandoning it but I
REALLY like the small size of the Olympus and would like to keep one of the
bodies and a few lenses for situations when I don't want to lug around the
Canon... specifically for when I'm travelling and for snapshots.

So... Since I really don't know much about these cameras I'm hoping that
some of you might be able to offer some advice on what equipment I should
keep and what I should sell - And don't say sell the Canon! ;-)

I assume that the OM2s are more sophisticated than the OM1s... but are they
"better"? Keep in mind that I will be using the camera for travelling and
snapshots so "Auto" features are nice. I usually shoot with the Canon set on
"auto aperature" and adjust the shutter speed to get the aperature I want

What are the 35mm Zuiko lenses like for these cameras? I'm thinking of
travelling with just a 28mm and a 35mm... the 28mm is sooo small :-)

And now for what you really care about. The 18mm...

I know I won't get much use from a lens this wide so I'm going to sell it. I
REALLY don't want to put this up on Ebay. The Canon section is FULL of
profiteers who buy up "special" items and stockpile them to keep the prices
up... Maybe the Olympus section is different but I doubt it and I would much
rather sell to someone who will actually USE the lens and not just try to
profit from it. Anyways... please tell anyone who would give this lense a
good home to get in touch with me.

The type on the filter ring reads "ZUIKO MC AUTO-W 1:3.5 f=18mm 102394".

The glass is nearly perfect. There is however one really, really small mark
on the front element. It is what I have heard called a "peck"... it looks
like the mark that a small, sharp stone would leave in your car windshield,
although much smaller of course. I honestly did not notice it until I held
the lens under a very bright light and at first I thought it was just a
speck of dust. This "peck" is located about 6mm in from the outside edge of
the lense. Also, I think there might be some very tiny scratches/cleaning
marks on the rear element but they are very hard for me to see.

The body is super clean except for some very minor paint scraping on raised
portion of the teeth of the aperature ring and the filter ring has some very
minor deformations where the hood has been threaded in and out. The 49-72mm
hood is also very clean but with some paint scraping on raised portion of
the teeth around it's outer edge.

The lense comes with The hood, well fitting generic 72mm cap, Olympus rear
cap and original Olympus case. Unfortunatley I DON'T have the original front
cap that fits when the hood is not in place and the lense won't fit in the
case with the hood on. :-( I might find the original cap but as of now I
don't have it and a normal Oly cap won't fit because of the "dome" fo the
front glass.

A local shop offered me $400usd for the lense so I assume they would sell it
for $800usd... so I'm asking $600usd. Do you guys think this is a fair
price? I am also open to full or partial trades for other Olympus lenses
or... Canon FD lenses. I'm in no hurry to sell this lense and I'll have the
other bodies and lenses that I don't keep available soon.

Sorry for the looong post but I wanted to be accurate.

Thanks for the bandwidth and advice.

Regards.

 - Matt Crawley
   Salt Lake City, Utah USA