[OM] Work photos/OM photographer has more modest published success

Subject: [OM] Work photos/OM photographer has more modest published success
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:38:02 -0500
Synopsis:  Olympus photographer gets lucky again and has more modest
published success.

The company finally published my last missile shots in an open publication,
so I'm free to post them myself:

http://members.home.net/garyetx/dt8.htm

This is one of a sequence of shots of a Patriot Advanced Capability-3
(PAC-3) tactical ripple firing against an incoming Tactical Ballistic
Missile.  This press release describes the mission:

http://www.missilesandfirecontrol.com/our_news/pressreleases/01pressrelease/
033101_Pac3.htm

The shot was made possible by Tom Scales' courageous generosity.  I planned
the it several months in advance with knowledge of the mission geometry and
the site where I could place cameras.  I determined that the optimum focal
length to cover the view was 21 mm.  I wanted to shoot both color and
black&white infrared, so I needed two Zuiko 21 mm lenses.  I have only one,
so Tom lent me the second.  As it turned out the OM-2 with the HIE failed to
run, so all I got was the color shots, which were from the OM-2N with Tom's
lens.  I say "courageous" because the camera location was within the
intercept debris hazard area; his lens was at slight risk of being
pulverized (as were my two cameras!)  The cameras were emplaced and aimed 20
hours prior to the 0700 mission, and the shutter tripped by one of the pad
engineers from under cover, since my duty post was some 40 miles away in the
range Control Center..

Technical info: OM-2N, Winder 2, homemade 75 foot release circuit, Zuiko 21
mm f/3.5 at f/8 with OM Skylight 1A filter, automatic exposure at an
exposure index of 400, Fuji 400 Press negative stock.  Near full-frame scan
by Nikon LS-30 and Vuescan software - and no manipulation of the sky - it
really was that blue!

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/