Re: [OM] P&S with SLR equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] P&S with SLR equipment
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:55:50 +0000
At 04:33 8/17/01, Dave Dougherty wrote:
In a message dated 8/16/01 9:22:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, parz@xxxxxxxx
writes:

How do you experts out there do it?

Practice, practice, practice!  Use the hyperfocal distance setting for focus,
a fast film so that you can use a fast shutter speed without having to open
up too much.  Use available light where possible.  Either a wide angle lens
or a medium telephoto works for me.  I use my 85/2 alot in family situations.

Dave Dougherty

PS
I am certainly no expert.  But I have a hell of alot of fun!

To expand a little on this: preset, preset and preset (in addition to the practice). Aperture, shutter speed _and_ focus. Some of the practice Dave mentions will perfect skill in anticipating events and being prepared at the right location for the decisive moment in advance. This was the skill of the Old Masters of street shooting such as Henri Cartier-Bresson during the 1930's who used completely manual rangefinders. They could anticipate what would happen, set everything in advance and discreetly position themselves. At the decisive moment, all that was left to do was put the viewfinder to the eye and push the shutter release. Preparation might be only 15-20 seconds beforehand, but it was enough time. Outdoors I've used the 85, 35-105 at 105mm, and the (forgotten) 135mm to remain unobtrusive. Indoors I've used the 85mm and 35-105 at 105mm. At other times a modest wide (28mm or 35mm) works along with standard 50mm. Don't expect a perfect yield rate, and be patient. For street-shooting and candids, it's not possible. Not all shots will pan out. There have been a number of occasions that I've preset everything for a shot and the "decisive moment" didn't converge properly to make it work in a photograph. Practice and experience will improve it though.

-- John