Re: [OM] Enlarger recomendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Enlarger recomendations
From: "Larry A. Otto" <LarryOtto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:39:33 -0500

Does anyone know any other explanation? Can these filters get "out of alignment" or possible could the shafts or something slip so that they do not properly rotate into place? I have never even thought about trying to take a color head apart-- has anyone else got any info or experience with this? I have not ever even given any thought to exactly how these things operate before.

Curious

Larry

Winsor Crosby wrote:

At our local arts collage we have a very well equipped darkroom with about
20 or so enlargers, mainly colour, mainly durst and LPL. They DO get an
awful lot of use, but someone was trying to print a low contrast B&W
negative using a colour head and despite dialling in the strongest
filtration, was only able to get a very low contrast print with no real
blacks. On examining the neg, we thought that it really should print OK so we swapped to a B&W enlarger with Patterson filters and it printed fine at
grade 3.

General conclusion was that the filters had faded.

Steve

Wasn't that why dichroic filters made their appearance? To combat the dreaded filter fade.