Re: [OM] [OT] (sort of) Framing Advice and Supplies

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] (sort of) Framing Advice and Supplies
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:50:55 -0700
Hello John,

I have done a lot of my own framing and matting.

A couple of ideas/things to consider. One is that you may be able to buy the
frame, board & glass itself from your local outfit and do the rest yourself,
this
might save you some time and trouble and is essentially what I do.

Personally I don't like plex at all, but if you have to ship the prints you
don't
want glass! One option is to frame & matte and ship w/o glass, most galleries
will do the glass for you on their end. I prefer metal fromes, not only from the
standpoint of simple assembly, but also from the standpoint of not attrtacting
attention away from the print.

There are some deffinate considerations with Ilfochromes. Ilfochromes are VERY
HIGH gloss and sill show every imperfection in the board underneath, so it is
better not to dry or wet mount them to the backing board. Essentially what you
want to do is suspend the print from the over-matte. There is more detail on
this
here:

 http://www.lightroom.com/lr_pages/ilfo_frameset.html

This page has all sorts of info on Ilfochrome prints & printing process. The
mounting info is near the bottom of the page.

If you are going to do this, invest in a good matte cutter, it will sve wear and
tear on you and your nerves, and sae you money in the logn run, both in terms of
time & matte board. My mother still cuts mattes by hand (with just an exacto
knife) but it is a talent I have never mastered, and not for lack of trying!

I would say that on this first go-around you will probably spend nearly as much
as having it done, but afterwards you will be set, and it really is not all that
hard.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Jim Couch

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> I need five frames, and relatively quickly.  Normally I would have a shop
> here do them, but they require too much lead time.  Looking at mail

BIG SNIP