[OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts) / Meteors.

Subject: [OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts) / Meteors.
From: nrky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:43:32 -0500
Bwaaahhaahhaahaaa!!!

You've all fallen into my evil plot to divert all T-storms to an
un-disclosed
geographical coordinate that -kinda- corresponds with where I spend alot
of my time at...however, it seems that while the storms have been
diverted
here, they either pass to the north or to the south while I'm able to do
my
evil work...I've either made a mis-calculation in the electronics, or not
enough
people are using the detectors at the same time.

Seriously, I haven't had any storms here that brought anything other than
sheet
lightning and so haven't been able persue that type of photography
lately.  Some-
body else who made his own pretty much said the same thing -- "as soon as

I built it, the T-storms have stopped"...I have two now, so I guess I'll
never get
another shot.  It would be hard for me to top the one I got right off the
bat with
that first proto-type though...

I have in the past shot the Leonids, and am looking forward to shooting
them
this year, but as far as using the lightning detector, I don't know how
much if
any IR is emitted by meteors.  I do know that there's a lot of radio wave
emission
from them -- you can set an AM radio in-between stations and hear when a
meteor
falls, so it's not inconceivable (love that movie---Twu Wuv...) that
meteors are
emitting IR as well...maybe this year I'll try it with 3 bodies instead
of just 2...one
with a detector on it facing elswhere while I administer to the other two
bodies...

Bill  >; P
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.