Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of? Bricks.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of? Bricks.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:18:52 EDT
dear Dan,

<< doesn't this mean that I'll get 1/60th of a second of
 whatever motion there is "animated" across the frame?  (so if I photograph a
 brick dropping fast enough, instead of getting it frozen in the air, it'll
 wind up slightly diagonal in the final image, say) >>

I think so basically. If you paint a dot on the brick and have the camera
horizontal, and the brick is moving down as the open shutter slit goes across

You will see just ne end of the brick at the top of the picture.
The brick image will get wider as more of the slit moves across its path.
You will see more of the brick as you go down until you either see all of it,
or you see as much as the slit will allow.
Then the image will get narrower again.
Finally it may disappear as the shutter has moved across.

If you painted a dot in the middle of the brick say, this will make a vertial
streak down the picture, but the left and right hand edges of the image will
be slanted at least some of the time, because the shutter slit is showing
only part of the brick as it moves across.

If you turn the camera to give 'portrait' mode, the shutter will be 'vertical
and you will either compress or elongate a falling object. Great fun.

With circular wheels on a car, you will probably get funny ellipses or
something, as was mentioned by Ken N. So if you dropped a silvernose lens and
took a photo at 1/1000 sec, the silver nose ring would be out of shape, even
before it hit the floor!

We need someone to do this.  ;-)

How about using a digital wonderbrick camera instead of a brick?

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/