Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 19:15:01 -0500
Let's start out with my obvious conclusion.  You need them both.

They are just such different animals.  If you want the least investment with
the most value, sell the 85/2 and get the 90/2. There is very little,
photo-wise, if anything, that the 85/2 can do that the 90/2 can't.

It's the intangibles that make them both valuable in your kit. For instance,
here's the specs (with the 50/1.4 for comparison).

85/2    -    260g    -    46mm long    -    60mm diameter    -    49mm
filter
90/2    -    550g    -    71mm long    -    72mm diameter    -    55mm
filter
50/1.4 -    230g    -    40mm long    -    60mm diameter    -    49mm filter

So, the 90 is more than twice as heavy, about 900nger and 20% bigger
diameter. The 85/2 on the other hand, is within minimal tolerances from a
50/1.4.

That's the biggest difference.  There are a lot of situations when I am
carrying a kit that the 85/2 makes it and the 90/2 doesn't.  If there's a
potential for macro work, the 90/2 is there, no question. Otherwise, the
85/2 goes.  Come fall, when basketball starts, the 85/2 will get a workout.
Fast, light, medium telephoto -- just perfect.

So, if you can swing it, keep'em both.

Tom