Re: [OM] [OT] ice pack for cool film (was: envy-inspiring field trip)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] ice pack for cool film (was: envy-inspiring field trip)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:11:41 -0700
 > My suggestion is to include a small light weight ice chest with
 removable "ice pack" in your checked luggage. You can pack your
 underwear in it.  When you get settled you can freeze the or at least
 chill the "ice pack" in the community frig. If you take a spare you
 can have one keeping the film cool while the other is chilling.
 Winsor Crosby
 Long Beach, California

This is off topic, but perhaps relevant to the now legendary trip: Why take
an ice pack? What would the advantage be over chilling a rock? Locally
available (I imagine) and greater thermal mass.

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page:
        http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling/faculty/pederson/pederson.html
Personal home page:
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~epederso/

Actually a rock would drastically lower thermal mass if you have access to freezing temperature in the frig. Change of state requires much more heat than just raising the temperature. You could freeze plastic bags partially filled with water with good effect. But you take a chance that they will leak into the film especially after reusing them a while. In that case plastic bag everything. The blue ice pack things are just less messy.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California