RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:49:05 -0400
On Thursday, August 09, 2001 at 11:24, Daniel J. Mitchell
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "RE: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing," saying..

>  Now, what I don't understand is why, when I'm doing macro photos,
> I have a _devil_ of a time focussing on the screen. If I'm
> photographing something a long way away, I can look "through" the
> screen, and if I get my eyes to focus at infinity, everything is
> sharp -- the speed display is okay, the image is crisp, all is
> well.
>
>  If I'm photoing a flower from a foot away, I have a lot more
> trouble getting my eyes to "click" into focus on the screen. Why is
> this? Surely if the screen is "2m away" it shouldn't make any
> difference what I'm projecting onto that screen?

Not your eyes' problem.

Close focusing is "funny." Some subject to film plane distances can't
be focused! That's why a "focusing stage" is often used to move the
whole lens & camera assembly. You have to adjust the lens "focus" to
frame it right or get the right degree of magnification, then move
the camera & lens position to focus.

No focusing stage? Fiddle with your tripod.

Tom

------- http://members.home.net/tomatrottier
TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx           ICQ:57647974
+1 613 291-1168          fax:+1 613 594-5412
415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
   ,__ô   Much Madness is divinest Sense
 _-\_<,   To a discerning Eye
(*)/'(*)  Much Sense--the starkest Madness.
          --Emily Dickinson, poet (1830-1886)