Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:52:17 -0700
 I strongly disagree!
                              In Practical Photography Aug1993 the Tamron
90mm f2.5 came out on MTF tests slightly behind the Canon macro ef 100 and
Nikon 105mm micro nikkor - BUT ahead of Minolta, Pentax, Sigma, Vivitar
series1 105 f2.5 and Elicar. Testers notes... Quite suprisingly,the edge
definition produced by this lens is marginally better than the centre.  It
can be used at all apertures confidently........What a beauty.  Quality
focusing,  construction and results at a very decent price.
I bought my 90mm macro f2.5 as a result of this test review and I must say
that my experience with this lens has confirmed the quality. The only
reservation I had about this lens was the polycarbonate collar above the
aperture ring. This has a transparent window through which you read the
distance scale. However this has stood up to 8yrs wear and tear with no
problems. My suggestion - If you get a chance try this lens out for
yourself, you might be pleasantly supprised!
                                                  Regards, John Duggan,
Wales, UK.

This may be the article that was mentioned in a US magazine that convinced me that the Tamron was a good choice. I have no quarrel with the quality of the photos from this lens. However, I hardly use it. It is big, heavy, clumsy and unpleasant to use. I almost always use the 50mm Zuiko I bought later.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA