Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to send money to the USA?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:30:11 +1000
>A person who works in the money transfer business recently
>recommended Western Union to me although I haven't yet used them.
>Their phone number is 0800 833833 but I was given to understand that
>they also have agencies that will take cash over the counter.
>
>Mike

WU is very expensive for money transfers (around 10%!), but very fast and
reliable. The agency may be a long way from the receipient, however. Paypal
is a problem for some non-US origins and destinations such as Aus. - they
expected me to open a US offshore bank account! Nah! But they have direct
transfer to some larger nations.
Oh - and I should have added for concealing cash in an envelope - I use
business size envelopes (9x4), with a business name on them if possible,
and run them through the franking machine at work. Anything to make them
look like non-personal mail.
AndrewF